- Will masks be required?
- Participants are not required to wear masks outdoors, but physical distancing will be encouraged. We ask that participants carry masks with them for those awesome moments when we find a bug, critter, plant, or other natural surprises that leave us all wanting to lean in close. When indoors (which will be rare), children ages 2 and up will be required to wear masks.
- What is your vaccination policy?
- Scugog Nature School does not require vaccination for participants. To learn more about our vaccine policy, click here.
- Does nature school cover the Ontario curriculum?
- Scugog Nature School provides a unique learning environment that has a student-led philosophy where we educate the whole child. Instructors develop lessons and learning objectives around what inspires participants, linking, where appropriate, to the Ontario Ministry of Education Curriculum.
- What happens in inclement weather?
- At Scugog Nature school participants will be outside, learning and engaging with the natural environment regardless of the weather. As such, we recommend your children arrive with appropriate clothing. You can find a gear list in the Parent Handbook. In rare instances of severe weather, including thunderstorms, heavy rain, heavy snow, strong winds, and severe temperatures, indoor learning spaces are available.
- Does my child need to be toilet trained to attend Scugog Nature School?
- Scugog Nature School participants should be able to toilet themselves independently, without adult support. Little Sprouts participants must have a parent/guardian with them at all times who will be responsible for toileting/diapering.
- Is there a lunch program or snacks offered at Scugog Nature School?
- Participants must bring a packed, nut-free lunch and snacks to Nature School. At times, participants will make snacks such as bannock as part of a lesson, and they can anticipate eating fresh vegetables from our large organic garden during the fall session.
Scugog Nature School is a nut-aware centre, but we cannot guarantee that there will not be traces of nuts at our facility.
- What are the benefits of Scugog Nature School?
- Participants who attend Scugog Nature School benefit from a unique learning experience where they are able to develop theories, questions, and ideas that drive the learning process.
There are many awesome benefits including:
- Improved self-regulation and academic achievement
- Improved interpersonal skills (social, communication, motivation, and confidence)
- Improved physical and mental health
- Improved concentration and self-discipline
- Learning through play, exploration, games, stories, and experiments fosters creativity and resilience
- Animal and plant identification, ecological literacy
- Understanding weather patterns and seasonal changes to habitats and animals
- Increase awareness about climate change and environmental sustainability
- How much does it cost?
- Our full-day programs cost $69 per day, and the cost for Little Sprouts is $25 per day, per child. All prices are inclusive of taxes.
- SNS operates during school hours – won’t my child fall behind?
- Our participants attend 1 or 2 days a week and attend their regular school for the rest of the week. Children do miss some of the content on those days, however, at SNS children spend time outdoors immersed in nature programming which complements their traditional learning. This provides the child with holistic learning opportunities and helps in the complete development of the child.
- How can my child attend Scugog Nature School if they are attending regular school?
- Children would need to be excused from their “regular” school to attend Scugog Nature School through a discussion with their teacher or school administration. We encourage you to make your decision based on your family’s goals and values.
- Do you offer any discounts?
- We offer a sibling discount of 10% for each additional child. Please contact us at email@example.com to avail the discount.
- What is your refund policy?
- Scugog Nature School will provide a refund, less a $50 administration fee, for withdrawal requests received at least two weeks before the start of the program. Refunds will not be provided in the event of withdrawal after the program session has begun. Refunds will not be provided in the case of closure due to inclement weather, absences, late arrivals/ early
departures, or dismissals from Scugog Nature School due to a child’s behaviour or conduct.
In the event that local, provincial, or federal COVID-19 restrictions force us to temporarily pause our programming, we will ensure registered children are refunded for unused program days, less a $50 administration fee.
- Do you offer transportation?
- We may offer transportation for March Break Day Camp, PA Days, and Summer Day Camp. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about transportation options.